There are three different ways that pure essential oils have been used - topical application, inhalation, and ingestion. These methods are often interchangeable if you find that there are one or two you prefer. We will be taking a look at each of these methods over the coming weeks. But before we do that, let's take a look at the 3 different models for therapeutic treatment with essential oils.
3 Schools of Application
Essential oils are common in many areas as a therapeutic treatment. All practitioners will fall within one or more of these three models - English, French, and German.
- The English model uses a small amount of essential oil added to a large amount of carrier oil for use in massage - for the purpose of relaxation and stress reduction.
- The French model uses the oils undiluted for topical application and prescribes internal use of pure essential oils.
- The German model focuses on the aromatherapy benefits of the oils through inhalation.
While each method is very different, as you can see, there are many ways to use essential oils and derive the benefits from their powerful constituents. Just be sure to exercise caution and do your research.
3 Basic Methods for using Essential Oils
From the 3 models mentioned above, we derive 3 basic ways to use essential oils:
- Inhalation - diffusing or using other methods to inhale the aromas of essential oils provides those oils with direct access to the brain through the limbic system.
- Topical application - massage or direct application techniques are very beneficial for providing direct support to various body systems - the molecular structure of the oils is so small that it can be easily absorbed through the skin.
- Ingestion - oral usage is common in the French model and with many users, but I do caution that you be careful and do your research.
One of the many benefits of the properties of essential oils is that the methods of application are often interchangeable. For example, if you have an upset stomach you might ingest a drop of peppermint oil in a glass of water or just rub the drop on your abdomen (the method I prefer). You derive the exact same benefits.
No matter your method, start slowly
No matter what methods you choose to employ, it's important to begin the process slowly. My previous post (Essential Oil Safety) shared some basic guidelines for essential oil safety.
Which method of application are you most comfortable using?