Some of my fondest memories are of TJ and I curled up on the couch, or outside in the sun, or lying in bed, reading books. She's older now and reading many books on her own but we are still continuing the read aloud tradition though, sadly, sometimes it's not quite as often. Now our read alouds are much longer but we'll still pull out an occasional picture book. And I've kept a stash of our very favorites - I just can't bear to part with them.
This list is the best of the best - at least for us! The books that we treasured and read very often - sometimes the books have even started to fall apart from being so well-loved. So if you're looking for some books that you and your own little ones can treasure, look for these titles - I'll bet they become your favorites as well.
- The Angus books (Angus and the Cat, Angus Lost, Angus and the Ducks)
- Blueberries for Sal (I grew up in Maine so this book is one of my favorites)
- Corduroy and A Pocket for Corduroy
- Curious George
- Katy and the Big Snow
- Make way for Ducklings
- Miss Spider's Tea Party
- Katy No-Pocket
- Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
- The Tale of Peter Rabbit
- The Mole Sisters, series
- We're Going on a Bear Hunt
- The Story about Ping
- Norman the Doorman
- Caps for Sale
- Miss Nelson is Missing
- Harry the Dirty Dog (and other Harry books)
- Harold and the Purple Crayon
- Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Goodnight, Moon
- Are you my Mother?
- Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
- Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
- Miss Rumphius
- The Seven Silly Eaters
- My Father's Dragon (a great first read aloud chapter book)
And some of our favorite authors - we've loved all their books: Robert McCloskey, Virgina Lee Burton, Beatrix Potter, A. A. Milne, Ezra Jack Keats, Charlotte Zolotow, Patricia Polacco, William Steig
Let's not forget a little poetry. We would often have tea parties and read aloud poetry. We especially loved these books and authors:
What have been your favorite children's books?