Reading aloud to your young children is such a great bonding experience. That time spent cuddled together with a beautiful picture book will create lasting memories for your whole family.
On this page you'll find some of our favorite books for kids - specifically, books that we read when my daughter was in her first-grade year (though these stories can certainly be enjoyed by younger or older children as well!).
You'll find some of our favorite picture books, as well as chapter books and audio books, and even a bit of poetry. First grade is the perfect time to start introducing longer books. The easiest way to make that transition is to start listening to audio books during quiet play time. Kids can still wiggle and play but they are listening to wonderful stories at the same time.
Favorite First Grade Read Alouds
Cuddling on the couch with a good book is one of the many joys of parenting. We have so many books that we've enjoyed together. First grade also seems to be that year of transition from picture books to chapter books. We enjoyed both this year. Here are our very favorite first-grade read alouds.
(affiliate links below!)
- The Magic Flute
- The Three Princes
- The Man Who Kept House
- The Princess Mouse
- I Dreamed I was a Ballerina
- Katy and the Big Snow
- The Happy Lion
- The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship
- Madame LaGrande and Her so High, to the Sky, Uproarious Pompadour
- The Firebird
- Three Perfect Peaches
- The Big Snow
- Rotten Teeth
- Tim O'Toole and the Wee Folk
- Jaime O'Rourke and the Big Potato
- The Ballymara Flood
- The Four Gallant Sisters
- Mr. Semolina-Semolinus
- Bill and Pete go down the Nile
- Martha Speaks
- Whales Passing
- One Grain of Rice
- Anansi and the Magic Stick
- Zomo the Rabbit
- Rimonah of the Flashing Sword
- The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
- A House is a House for Me
- The Tale of Custard the Dragon
- The Legend of the Persian Carpet
READING FUN ACTIVITY KIT
Fun with books!
This printable collection includes plenty of ideas and resources for reading fun. With plenty of book recommendations, narration tips, and printable activities, you’ll have lots of ideas to engage your kids with the books you love.
Short Stories & Chapter Books:
- The Children's Book of Virtues
- James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children
- In Grandma's Attic (and others in the series)
- Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
- Betsy-Tacy (and others in the series)
- All-of-a-Kind Family
- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
- Charlotte's Web
- Stuart Little
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- The Trumpet of the Swan
- Beezus and Ramona (and other Ramona books)
- The Light Princess
- Peter Pan
- 101 Dalmations
- Gooney Bird Greene (and other Gooney Bird books)
- Mr. Popper's Penguins
Some favorite authors: Ezra Jack Keats, Virginia Lee Burton, Eric A. Kimmel, Robert McCloskey, Tomie dePaola, E.B. White, Gerald McDermott, Ogden Nash, Beverly Cleary, and George MacDonald.