When it starts to heat up around here I rely more and more on easy no bake recipes. Between cooking dinner on the grill and a few healthy no bake desserts, I don't need to heat up my oven when it's hot outside. No bake cookies are one of my favorite kinds of cookies and this healthy no bake oatmeal cookie recipe won't leave you feeling guilty!
Healthy No Bake Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
I've tried a few healthy no bake oatmeal cookie recipes but I've never quite been satisfied with them. So I decided to take a look at the basic (not healthy!) recipe to see what I really needed to change.
Most of the ingredients are just fine as they are - butter, oatmeal, etc. The biggest thing I needed to change was the sugar (2 cups!). I've always found no bake cookies super sweet so I figured I could cut back on the sugar just fine and if I switched it to a different sweetener, even better!
I also decided to sneak in a few healthy ingredients to give these cookies a power-packed punch. I replaced a cup of oatmeal with some ground flax and protein powder. You won't be able to tell it's in there!
what you'll need
To make this healthy no bake oatmeal cookie recipe you'll need:
(these are affiliate links)
- stevia extract
- almond milk (or any kind of milk)
- butter (coconut oil would probably work just fine too; refined if adding peanut butter, unrefined if using coconut)
- cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
- peanut butter (or replace this with coconut - my husband's favorite variation)
- oatmeal (rolled or quick, either will work)
- ground flax
- unflavored protein powder (though I think vanilla or chocolate protein powder would work just fine too)
what to do
Like most no bake recipes - you'll follow the same basic instructions for this healthy no bake oatmeal cookie recipe. Combine the sweeteners, almond milk, butter, and cocoa in a large saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to make sure everything is melted and combined. When it comes to a full boil, let it boil for 1 minute before removing from the heat (*see note at end of post). Then you'll stir in the peanut butter, salt, and vanilla, making sure the peanut butter melts into the chocolate mixture. Finish by adding the oatmeal, ground flax, and protein powder. Mix well and let sit a few minutes to thicken up.
Once it's thickened a little, use a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop to scoop the mixture onto a sheet of waxed paper. Let cool on the counter or transfer the waxed paper & cookies to a cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator. I find that they harden up better when they are refrigerated.
Healthy No Bake Oatmeal Cookie Recip
Makes: 3 dozen
- 1 cup xylitol
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon stevia extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1/2 cup unflavored protein powder
- Combine the xylitol, stevia, almond milk, butter, and cocoa in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat, stirring until all the ingredients are combined.
- When it comes to a full boil, let it boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla, salt, and peanut butter, stirring until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the oatmeal, flax, and protein powder, stirring well.
- Let the mixture sit for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Scoop out onto a waxed paper lined cookie sheet.
- Let sit 2 hours at room temperature or refrigerate.
For the Stevia: If you prefer a sweeter cookie, put the full 1/2 teaspoon of stevia extract. If you prefer a less sweet cookie, start with 1/4 teaspoon stevia extract.
Variation: Omit peanut butter and add 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut instead.
NOTE: Depending on the weather (humidity, rainy days, etc.) no bake cookies can decide not to 'set up' and stay soft. You may need to adjust the boiling time - between 1-3 minutes. If your cookies didn't set up, I have heard that people have had success putting the mixture back into the pot and warming it gently for a few minutes before scooping it out again.
Do you have any no-bake cookie tips to share? Leave me a comment!