Homeschooling is HARD. Being a mom is HARD. And it's too easy to get so busy with managing the house, homeschooling, cooking meals, doing laundry, and wrangling kids that there isn't much time left for relaxing. But it is important to carve out some time to take care of yourself. If you don't there can be some serious consequences - emotional and physical. No matter how busy your days and weeks, you need to have some 'me time'.
Make time for yourself
It's so easy to focus on taking care of everyone else and all the jobs that a busy mom has to do. But you know what? It's important to show your children that you take time for yourself.
What example are you setting for your daughters? That it's normal to wear yourself out trying to juggle it all or that you set priorities, let some things go if need be, and make time for yourself.
It is NOT selfish to take time for yourself. You'll feel better and you're family will thank you for a relaxed & happy mother!
Of course, we all have different ways of relaxing. While I might find 30 minutes with a good book, a hot beverage, and a lovely bench in the sunshine the perfect way to relax, someone else might prefer to go shopping with friends.
Find what's relaxing for you and just make time for it!
5 ways to take care of yourself
- Daily prayer time - I don't spend much time talking about faith or religion here on the blog but it's an important part of my life. I definitely notice a difference when I'm not taking time to pray and read my Bible. When things get busy, this is the one area that needs to be on my to-do list.
- Exercise - This definitely gets pushed to the back burner when I'm very busy but it's so important for physical (and emotional) health to make regular time for movement.
- Take a bath - It is so much easier to ignore the stress and push those negative emotions down so we don't have to face them. But it takes a toll on our bodies. A detox bath with some essential oils is a good way to relax.
- Reading - I've had many days these past few months where I just didn't have time for relaxing with a book. And it's the one thing I've really missed. I didn't realize how relaxing I find 'escaping with a good book' until I'm not making time for it!
- Time with friends - When life gets busy we tend to focus on family but when I intentionally make time to get together with friends for a chat or a fun game night I am always glad I did. It's worth the time and effort to make time for the friends in your life.