This post contains affiliate links.
One of a few necessary steps in following the Trim Healthy Mama way of eating is to stock your pantry with ingredients that will make this way of eating much easier to follow. One of the key components of a successful transition is preparation. If you're not prepared by having a handful of recipes and some basic staples it will be hard to sustain any definite change. So it's important to slowly build up your Trim Healthy Mama pantry.
On the path to success with Trim Healthy Mama
The first step in a successful transition is to change a few of your habits. I wrote a post that has a few tips that help with the changes that can make your plan effective. It's easy to jump in with both feet, all gung-ho to begin, and then fail miserably after a few less-than-stellar meals or desserts. But, if you've changed a few habits it will be much easier to sustain your ongoing plan. Even when you get off-track, just going back to those basic habits can make all the difference.
Shopping for success
One way to ensure a successful transition is to have a pantry of ingredients that are 'THM-friendly'. It certainly is possible to follow this way-of-eating without buying a bunch of special ingredients (I'll be sharing some tips about that soon!), but, especially if you have a sweet tooth, there are some ingredients that you will want to have in your cupboard.
Here are the 10 things that I find especially useful:
- Alternative sweeteners like xylitol and stevia (if you like chocolate, desserts, or a bit of sweet in your beverage of choice, you'll want to stock up on these sweeteners)
- Alternative 'flours' and thickeners like the THM baking blend, coconut flour, almond flour, peanut flour, and glucomannan
- Coconut oil (both natural and refined)
- A boost of protein with Whey Protein Powder or Collagen
- Something sweet like Lily's Chocolate Chips or dark chocolate chips
There are many more things you could add to this list, but for me, these are the basic things I like to have in my pantry. Your shopping list for specialty ingredients doesn't have to be huge. Just a few things (especially for those sweet-tooth people like me!) that will help you along the way.
If you follow the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle, what's on your shopping list?