Don't you just love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter? I certainly do! And if you can enjoy them on a healthy eating plan, all the better!
That's why I love the Trim Healthy Mama plan - you can still enjoy chocolate treats (even for breakfast!).
If you've ever struggled to follow a diet plan then you probably know that having a few treats really does make all the difference. This recipe for skinny chocolate peanut butter cups has become a staple in my house (my daughter just loves them) even as my healthy eating plan evolves.
So bring back your sweet indulgence with this fabulous recipe. The 'secret' ingredient is very good for you so there's no reason to feel guilty for indulging!
Best of all this recipe works for lots of different plans - Trim Healthy Mama, gluten-free, low-carb, or sugar-free. Enjoy peanut butter cups without the guilt!
Coconut oil is the healthy 'secret' ingredient in this simple recipe! It's very good for you and creates a perfect chocolatey base so you can indulge in these skinny chocolate peanut butter cups without any guilt.
What you need:
(These are affiliate links.)
Before you start making your peanut butter cups, grab a mini-muffin pan. It works perfectly for making those cute little cup shapes!
What to do:
The first thing you'll want to do is make your chocolate. Melt the coconut oil, adding your sweetener and cocoa powder following the recipe instructions. Then it's time to make the filling and turn it all into delicious skinny chocolate peanut butter cups!
The first time I made these I put half the chocolate (about 1 teaspoon in each) in the pan, froze it for a few minutes, topped with the peanut butter mixture, froze again, and then topped with the remaining chocolate. You can do it that way, or if you're lazy like me, now I just pour in all the chocolate, let that harden, then put the peanut butter mixture on top and freeze again. Either way, works just fine!
When they are completely firm, use the edge of a butter knife to pop them out. Keep them in a container in the fridge because they do get melty!
Trim Healthy Mama: Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 1-2 scoops Stevia extract
- 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stevia extract, to taste (for me that was 2 little scoops)
For the Chocolate:
- Scoop the coconut oil into a small mixing bowl or 2-cup measuring glass. Microwave for 30 seconds or until melted.
- Run the xylitol in a coffee grinder until it reaches a powdered sugar consistency.
- Add the xylitol and Stevia to the melted coconut oil and mix well.
- Add the cocoa powder, mixing well.
- Taste for sweetness and add more sweetener, if needed.
Peanut Butter Filling:
- Combine the filling ingredients and mix well.
Make the Peanut Butter Cups:
- Pour 1/2 or all of the chocolate mixture into a mini-muffin pan (depending on whether or not you are doing 2 layers of chocolate).
- Freeze until firm.
- Using a tablespoon, portion out the peanut butter filling on top of the hardened chocolate.
- Top with more chocolate, if desired.
- Freeze until firm.
- Pop the firm peanut butter cups out of the muffin tin using the edge of a butter knife.
- Store in the refrigerator.