Let me guess. You saw a recipe for a chicken casserole and thought, “Next! I am not interested in another chicken casserole recipe!” But this isn’t any old chicken casserole recipe; this ultimate casserole is one you do not want to pass up! It even is a winner for my family, who typically say “no thank you” to any casserole placed in front of them.
This recipe came about last week when I was in one of those moods where I did not have the energy to put thought into cooking dinner. I know we have all been there…so that is exactly why I am sharing this recipe that is perfect for those nights when you want to throw something together that is both delicious and easy!
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
That night I was going through my freezer to see what I could come up with and stumbled on a bag of pre-cooked shredded chicken and the first thought that came to mind was a casserole! I wanted to make something simple yet flavorful that the kids would enjoy, and we would have plenty saved for leftovers.
Of course, my husband happened to walk into the kitchen right as I was tossing the ingredients together. And while he wasn’t thrilled that I was making another casserole, I told him this one would be different!
Why do we love this chicken casserole?
It is a crowd-pleaser! My mother-in-law, who is a fantastic cook, now brings this dish to parties and gatherings, and it is always a huge hit, and there is never an ounce left to take home!
The shredded chicken mixed with the creamy sauce makes the perfect combination for a soft and tender casserole.
You can reheat it, and it will still be delicious! This casserole tastes just as good the next day or even the next. That is, of course, if you are lucky enough to have leftovers!
Can substitute the cut of chicken?
As I mentioned, I first used frozen pre-shredded chicken for this recipe, but you can easily make this casserole with chicken breast, thighs, or even tenders. If you do use tenders, they do not need to be sliced first.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can mix all of the ingredients in advance and simply put it in the oven to bake whenever ready!
Does this casserole reheat well?
Yes, and that is one of the reasons we love it so much! You can reheat a pre-baked or chilled casserole in the oven at 325 ˚f for about twenty minutes or until warm. Cover it with foil first. You can also reheat it on the stovetop by placing it over low heat and occasionally stirring until warm throughout.
Can I make this casserole in a slow cooker or crockpot instead of in the oven?
We heard from one of our readers that they easily and successfully make this recipe using a slow cooker. In order to do so, first, use the sauté function to brown your chicken using butter. Remove the chicken and then add in the onions and sauté. Place the chicken back in the slow cooker. Combine the rest of the ingredients for sauce per the original recipe and pour it over the chicken, and slow-cook the casserole on low for five hours.
How long can I store the chicken casserole?
You can keep the casserole in your refrigerator for 3-4 days or store it in the freezer for 4-5 months. When storing it to freeze, make sure it is in an airtight container to avoid freezer burn. You can take the casserole out of the freezer the day ahead of when you are planning to serve it and defrost it in the refrigerator.
Tips for making the ultimate chicken casserole
- If you like it extra cheesy, add an extra cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the chicken mixture.
- You can make this chicken casserole using my go-to homemade cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, or cream of mushroom soup.
- Using a cooked rotisserie chicken makes the recipe even easier! All you have to do is remove the meat from the carcass, shred it, and add to the sauce.
- A great way to add starch to this dish is to serve the casserole over rice or pasta!
What Ingredients do you Need for The Ultimate Chicken and Noodle Casserole
2 cups of cooked egg noodles
2 cups of chicken, cooked and shredded
2 cups of corn (you can use fresh, frozen, or canned)
1 cup of milk
2 10oz cans of cream of chicken soup
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp of minced garlic
½ cup of shredded cheese (I use cheddar, but any cheese will do)
¾ cup of french-fried onions
Salt and pepper to taste
How To Make The Ultimate Chicken and Noodle Casserole
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
While the oven is preheating, grease a 9 by 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, mix the cooked egg noodles, shredded chicken, corn, milk, cream of chicken soup, onion, garlic, cheese (add extra if you like it extra cheesy!) bacon, and add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the chicken mixture into your greased pan.
When the oven is preheated, place the pan into the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve the ultimate chicken warm and enjoy!
- - 2 cups of cooked egg noodles
- - 2 cups of chicken, cooked and shredded
- - 2 cups of corn (you can use fresh, frozen, or canned)
- - 1 cup of milk
- - 2 10oz cans of cream of chicken soup
- - 1 onion, diced
- - 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- - ½ cup of shredded cheese (I use cheddar, but any cheese will do)
- - ¾ cup of french-fried onions
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the oven is preheating, grease a 9 by 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cooked egg noodles, shredded chicken, corn, milk, cream of chicken soup, onion, garlic, cheese (add extra if you like it extra cheesy!) bacon, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the chicken mixture into your greased pan.
- When the oven is preheated, place the pan into the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve the ultimate chicken warm and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 2gCarbohydrates: 140gProtein: 35g