Raise your hand if you love garlic! Who can turn down a garlicy shrimp dish seasoned with fresh herbs and olive oil? Not me! This recipe is so simple and easy yet fresh and tasty. It is great to spruce up a weeknight dinner or serve on skewers for a dinner party.
Pair the shrimp with some toasted bread to soak up the garlic lemon sauce and a vegetable or two on the side, and you have yourself a perfect feast.
Marinade for garlic shrimp with herbs:
This marinade is as simple as they come! All you need is some garlic, lemon, fresh herbs, and a few spices. Since shrimp are tender and small, you only need a few minutes to marinate them in the mixture. Be sure not to let them marinate for too long, or else the lemon juice will alter the texture of the protein.
I recommend 20 minutes. It is also very important not to overcook the shrimp!
How to grill garlic shrimp with herbs?
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl and let shrimp marinate for approximately 20 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Place marinated shrimp on soaked wooden skewers. Grill the shrimp for about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- You can either remove the shrimp from the skewers and serve in a dish or keep them on the skewers to serve.
What to pair with your shrimp?
These shrimp go well with just about anything! Serve them on top of a salad for a fresh and healthy meal or alongside spaghetti for a satisfying pasta dish. You can also add them to tacos or eat them plain!
Garlic and herb shrimp tips
- If you are only making this meal for 1 or 2 people, simply cut the recipe in half and grill one pound of shrimp. All the remaining cooking instructions remain the same.
- As mentioned, it is important not to over-marinate the shrimp! I set a timer for 20 minutes. I suggest no more than 2 hours!
- Soak the wooden skewers before you place the shrimp on them. This helps prevent the skewers from catching on fire from the grill. To make it easy, soak the skewers while you marinate the shrimp, and then they will be ready to go at the same time.
- Don’t overcook your shrimp! Shrimp are so popular for many reasons, one of which is the short amount of time it takes to cook. Make sure to keep an eye on them and only grill the shrimp until they are no longer translucent! Look out for the pink and opaque color. Shrimp only need about 3-5 minutes total to cook. If you do end up overcooking the shrimp, they will get rubbery in texture.
- This dish is so versatile; you can use whatever fresh herbs you prefer or have on hand for the marinade! Some suggestions include parsley, rosemary, oregano, thyme, or cilantro.
- If you do not have fresh herbs on hand, you can always sub with 1 tablespoon of dried herbs.
- This marinade also makes for a delicious vinaigrette for salad. If you have an unused marinade (that was not used for the raw shrimp), you can keep it in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Grill the shrimp with the shell off! This makes for more flavorful shrimp and less mess at the table!
- I do not suggest using pre-cooked shrimp for grilling- it will overcook them and make them rubbery.
- Frozen shrimp work great! All you have to do is thaw the shrimp in the refrigerator overnight, or if you are cooking at the last minute, you can thaw them by placing them in a colander and running them under cold water until they are completely thawed. This quick thaw method only takes a couple of minutes!
What Ingredients Do You Need For Garlic Grilled Shrimp With Herbs?
2 pounds of extra-large shrimp, already peeled and deveined (leave the tail on)
2 tablespoons of fresh minced garlic
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
3 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
4 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
Salt and pepper to taste
How To Make Garlic Grilled Shrimp With Herbs?
Mix lemon zest, garlic, fresh herbs, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil together in a bowl until combined well.
Stir in the shrimp and coat evenly.
Store the shrimp in a covered container in the refrigerator for 20 minutes- 2 hours
Soak the wooden skewers in water while the shrimp marinades
Preheat the grill to medium to medium-high heat.
Lightly oil or spray the grill grate.
Place the shrimp on the skewers and then onto the grill
Only cooking for 2-3 minutes per side.
Drizzle with olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
Serve on the skewers or remove and place in a serving dish.
Garlic Grilled Shrimp With Herbs
- - 2 pounds of extra-large shrimp, already peeled and deveined (leave the tail on)
- - 2 tablespoons of fresh minced garlic
- - 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
- - 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh chives
- - 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
- - 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
- - 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- - 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- - 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- - 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- - Wooden skewers
- Mix lemon zest, garlic, fresh herbs, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil together in a bowl until combined well.
- Stir in the shrimp and coat evenly. Store the shrimp in a covered container in the refrigerator for 20 minutes- 2 hours
- Soak the wooden skewers in water while the shrimp marinades
- Preheat the grill to medium to medium-high heat. Lightly oil or spray the grill grate.
- Place the shrimp on the skewers and then onto the grill, only cooking for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Drizzle with olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Serve on the skewers or remove and place in a serving dish.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 2gCholesterol: 240mgSodium: 22mgProtein: 30g
Leave a Comment